AFCORP Specialist Energy and Power Advisor
- Harper, is an energy (Power – Utility, Oil & Gas) executive with Power-Utility and Oil & Gas operational and commercial/business development expertise and experience in Africa, Europe and the USA. Specialties include interim general management, power engineering, technology innovation and commercialization, organizational transformation and large-scale change programs. Advised Elgin Engineering on post-merger integration of a distressed 60 year old South African design-manufacturing company. Business Development/Commercial Leadership for Westinghouse Electric’s original Small Modular Light Water Nuclear Reactor. Before Westinghouse, founded and led Turner, Harper & Associates, an energy consulting firm. Clients list included organizations such as the US Department of Energy, ExxonMobil, Consolidated Edison, CEZ – Czech Republic Nuclear Power Company, Lockheed-Martin, Potomac Electric Power Company, Bechtel Jacobs, ExxonMobil, Fluor Daniel Hanford. Prior to Turner, Harper, project finance support for Applied Energy Services (AES) delivery of Western Maryland’s first Circulating Fluidized Bed Coal-Fired electric power plant. Prior to AES, provided technical services and corrosion engineering support for British Petroleum USA refineries and chemical plants
Selected Client Experience:
- Advised the largest black-owned engineering company in South Africa on market entry strategies and positioning for Anadarko/ENI Mozambique natural gas and LNG upstream project.
- Advisor to Elgin Engineering on its distressed subsidiary, a 60 year old South African fishing design and equipment manufacturer, for repositioning to capture nuclear, oil & gas and renewable energy contracts.
- Commercial/Business Development Leader for Westinghouse Electric’s original Small Modular Nuclear Light Water Reactor. Defined business model/plan, initial financial model, governance, partnerships, supply chain, customer steering committee charter, marketing and public relations.
- Founder and President, Turner, Harper & Associates (THA)–USA/Henderson, Harper & Associates (RSA) – Global energy engineering consultancies with 100 consultants worldwide prior to competitor purchase.
- US Nuclear Regulatory Commission Lead Inspector with over 30 safety and quality inspections/audits of USA nuclear power plants and suppliers. Provided technical basis for the first US Government program to end importation of substandard foreign fasteners into the USA leading to U.S. Public Law 101, “Fastener Quality Act”.
Education & Certifications:
- Bachelor of Science in Metallurgical Engineering from the University of Cincinnati
- MBA from Harvard Business School