AFCORP Specialist Infrastructure and Project Advisor
- Deh is a senior business development executive and consultant in the infrastructure space. He specialises in the project development cycle, helping clients to develop project concepts into investment propositions and managing joint technical/financial teams through the early stages of projects.
- Working first for the Crown Agents and latterly for Arup, Richard has 29 years of experience as a manager of development aid funds, development consultant, team leader, project director, regional & country director, project finance practitioner, project originator and business developer. He is a seasoned leader of multi-disciplinary project teams and has delivered consulting and advisory solutions in countries and territories as diverse as Ghana, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Swaziland, Lesotho, Zimbabwe, South Africa, India, Sri Lanka, Guyana, the Palestinian Territories and Kosovo.
- In his most recent role as Arup’s head of business development for Africa, Richard led the drive to increase Arup’s project and client footprint across the continent. He did this through a process of targeted relationship management and bidding on development finance institution (DFI) funded infrastructure projects as well as project origination; working with clients to develop infrastructure project concepts and raise private and DFI development capital through pre-feasibility and feasibility stages and ultimately to financial close. Richard pioneered the origination process at Arup, based on the idea that a) the company had real value to offer clients as they journeyed through the project development cycle, b) the dearth of bankable infrastructure projects in Africa coupled with the desire for private debt and equity to find bankable projects, represented a key opportunity
- Deh, a Ghanaian by birth, has a particular affinity for, and a broad range of experience in developing built environment projects in Ghana. A development economist by profession, Mr. Deh’s specific skills encompass the infrastructure project cycle, project direction and management of multi-disciplinary project teams, project appraisal, consortium development, the government infrastructure cycle in the African context, project finance, contracts and risk management.
Selected Client Experience:
- Clients include, WBHO, Merson Capital, Ghana Bulk Oil Storage & Transportation Ltd, MOGS, Merson Capital Ghana Ltd, The Development Bank of Southern Africa, the Swaziland Ministry of Economics and Planning, South African Department of Health, Lesotho Ministry of Public Works, The World Bank, the European Union and the UK Department for International Development.
- Arup lead on early stage development and development capital raise on an integrated Agro-processing zone and logistics hub concept in Northern Ghana. Estimated value US$300m.
- Arup lead on early stage development and funding proposal for a US$850m oil storage & distribution terminal, associated pipelines and bulk liquids jetty a Takoradi in Western Ghana.
- Arup lead on early stage development and funding proposal for a 360MW gas fired power station in Western Ghana
- Arup lead on consortium development, commercial negotiations and pre-qualification process for the Mota-Engil/Egis bid on the Accra-Tema motorway PPP in Ghana.
- Project manager for phase 1 (due diligence to financial close) and project director for phase 2 (monitoring during construction phase) of Arup’s mandate as lenders technical advisor to the Development Bank of Southern Africa for the Queen Mamohato hospital in Lesotho. A 300 bed national referral hospital and 3 filter clinics, procured as a PPP.
- Arup project director for a national healthcare facilities audit, undertaken on the behalf of the South African National Department of Health.
- Arup country lead for Ghana, responsible for project identification and screening, local delivery partner identification and screening, proposal development and relationship management for a variety of property projects including the World Bank/IFC country office building in Accra and Platinum Plaza, a high rise mixed use development in Airport City Accra.
Education & Certifications:
- MSc Financial Economics – University of London, School of Oriental & African Studies
- BSc Human Geography – University of Ulster, Coleraine
- Short Courses
- International Project Finance Association – Understanding International Project Finance
- Gordon Institute of Business Science – Scenario Planning & Strategic Thinking
- MDA Law – The NEC3 Engineering & Consulting Contract
- Arup in-house – Project Directors Commercial Training Programme
Awards & Certifications:
- Arup representative on the World Economic Forum Business Working Group, advising the AU/NEPAD Programme for Infrastructure Development in Africa (PIDA) on the acceleration of NEPAD/PIDA’s continental select list of priority infrastructure projects, the project development cycle.
- Speaker and/or panel member at various infrastructure and development conferences and events including events convened by the British/South African Chamber of Commerce, Commonwealth Development Corporation, the Development Bank of Southern Africa, and at COP 17 in Durban.
- Participation in various trade missions including most recently, a British Department of Industry & Trade mission to Ghana in 2018 to stimulate UK investment in infrastructure projects.